- Tomato is an important vegetable. Its production is threatened due to altered weather patterns which increase environmental stressors such as flooding1, 2 and herbivory3 to crops.
- Plants respond in many ways. Stressed plants strike back to environmental stress by altering their chemistry4:
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) emissions
- Defensive secondary metabolites2
- Stress induced physiological changes in plants impact growth and development of insects.
- This study is broken into two experiments:
- The plant response to flooding stress
- The insect performance on flooded plants
Davis, Maya K.; Dady, Erinn; and Ngumbi, Esther N., "The Tomato Strikes Back: Plant Response to Environmental Stress" (2023). PRECS student projects. 107.