Why Blackspotted Stickleback?
How Behaviors Evolve Comparing closely related species can give insights into how behavior evolves.
Well studied: Three-spined Stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus)
- Model organism for natural variation in behavioral evolution 1.
- Divergence in parental care in two ecotypes1,2.
- White and common ecotypes recently diverged 2.
Lesser studied: Blackspotted Stickleback (Gasterosteus wheatlandi)
- Three-spined’s closest living relative.
- Possible behavioral intermediate of commons & whites.
- Blackspotted egg dispersal is similar to white three-spined 3.
Copyright is owned by the creators of this work.
Constant, Cassidy; Tucker, Megan; Behrens, Colby; and Bell, Alison M., "Revisiting the Reproductive Behaviors of Blackspotted Stickleback" (2023). PRECS student projects. 108.